Kanajar Welfare Association Kuwait (KWAK)
KWAK in its Decennial Year - A Dream turned into Success
The parishioners of Kanajar residing at Kuwait had come together with unity
to strive towards a common goal. It is evident that this unity has fulfilled
towards the progress and upliftment of Kanajarians both at Kuwait and back
home at Kanajar, with whatever huge or small support received from our
It was the dream of one man, Mr Lawrence D'Souza who visualized the
association of Kanajarians residing at Kuwait, for the benefit of each
other. He put this idea into the minds of a few fellow parishioners and thus
"Lourdes Zamath Kanajar" which was later know as "Kanajar Welfare
Association Kuwait" (KWAK), was formed on March 12, 2000 with its 14
founding members. Soon after, with the active leadership of Mr. Lawrence
Saldanha and others, the associations for Kanajarians were formed in the UAE,
Bahrain, Qatar and Mumbai. All these associations, with the blessings from
our patron Lady of Lourdes, are working towards a common motto: Betterment
and progress of the people of Kanajar.
Within 3 months of the formation of KWAK its strength grew to 100 members
and within a year there were 140 members.
Following are the eminent persons who led the association through the
(2000-02 & 2006-08)
Antony Victor Miranda
KWAK - 2002
KWAK - 2004
KWAK - 2006
KWAK - 2008
KWAK - 2010
The main mission of our
association have always been:
- Upliftment of the Kanajar parish
- Providing education to poor children of the parish
- Extending a helping hand to the parishioners here in Kuwait in times of
need and difficulty.
- Annual Celebration of the Kanajar feast together with all the Kanajar
- Making arrangements for funeral in case of a demise of a fellow
Following are some of the major achievements of KWAK:
- Kanajar association became a leading example to all during the
renovation of the portico of church.
- For the betterment of our parish, Lourdes Charitable trust was founded
soon after which Lourdes Charitable Hospital was established.
- To help our members during emergencies a mortuary fund was established
according to which a total of Rs 25,000 will be donated to the family
members of the deceased. (Last year, the family members of Benedicta D'souza
and Mary Menezes had received this amount)
- Every year Nativity fest, Kanajar feast is celebrated in a grand manner
together with all the parishioners residing here in Kuwait,
- A yearly picnic and a get-together is arranged by the end of the year.
- Kidchamp-2008 (dance competition) was organized in order to showcase the
talents of our young children.